Badges are part of the Awards tool. To use the Awards tool, instructors must add the Awards widget or Awards Navbar link to the course home page.
- For instructions on adding a widget to the course home page, click here.
- For instructions on creating custom Navbars, click here.
- The Awards tool enables instructors to provide merit based badges to students.
- Badges reflect student achievement of different milestones within the course.
- Badges can be designed and linked to release conditions to allow for automatic awarding, or badges can be manually granted.
- Badges do not contribute to the achievement of a passing grade.
Why use Badges?
- Reward students immediately after they have completed an activity or assignment.
- Build an element of gamification into the course to better engage students.
- Provide a celebration piece for the completion of an assignment or activity.
- Track student progress and development.
- Build a hands-off method of instant feedback.
How do Badges impact students?
- Students access badges via the Awards widget or Navbar link on the course homepage.
NOTE: Student access will depend on how the instructor has added the Awards tool to the course.
- Students receive a pop-up notification identifying badges they have earned.
- Students can view badges they have earned, as well as those that they have yet to earn.
- Students can share earned badges to their profile.
Awards Tool overview
- Classlist Awards: Lists all students enrolled in the course and the badges they have earned.
- Course Awards: Identifies the badges available to earn within a course. Also, provides instructors access to create new badges.
- My Awards: Lists the badges earned by the user.
NOTE: Users can view badges earned for a current course, or view all badges earned in all courses.
- View Available Awards (Badge Library): Provides access to all badges created by all users.
CAUTION: Instructors can use badges created by another user; however, these badges cannot be edited. Only the badge owner has edit rights. If a badge owner edits their badge, the edits will appear in any course using the badge.